Easy read is onTurn off easy read
What is allied health?
Allied health includes supports you can get to:
- make and keep you healthy
- build the skills you need to do more things for yourself
- reach your goals
- make changes to your home so you can keep living there.
We call people who provide these supports and services ‘allied health workers’.
You can find allied health workers in places like:
- community health centres.
Allied health does not include care from doctors, nurses or dentists.
Our allied health services
You can take part in our allied health services in our Eric Hart Centre near Geelong.
Our allied health services include:
Physiotherapists can help you:
- with ways to move your body
- get better after an injury.
Exercise Physiologists use exercise to help you improve your health.
A type of physiotherapy that you do in water.
Exercise in a group to reach a goal, such as getting stronger.
A type of Tai Chi to help people move well.
A type of yoga that you do:
- sitting on a chair
- standing and using a chair for support.
Dietitians help you with what you eat and drink.
They help you learn how to make healthy choices about what you eat or drink.
Learn new cooking skills. Or learn how to cook for your health condition, such as diabetes – a disease that causes high sugar levels in your body.
Go on a walk with a group of people. It can be a fast walk or a slow walk. The walk will meet the needs of the group.
No falls programs
Learn skills and exercises to help stop falls.
Support to help your:
- heart work better
- lungs work better.
Take part in exercise to make your health better.
How to apply for our allied health services
If you are under 65 years old, you can apply through the:
- National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) – the NDIS provides services and support to people with disability. You need to use your Improved Health and Wellbeing and/or Improved Daily Living support funding
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs. A veteran is a person who served in the military.
- Fee for service – you pay for the service yourself.
If you want help or more information, you can call us.
1300 558 368