Ken is smiling as he sits on the veranda of his Kangaroo Flat unit.

Home Care Packages

Supporting you, your way

We’re passionate about working with you to maintain your independence, and to stay active and healthy while living in the comfort and familiarity of your own home.

With over 30 years’ experience, we partner with local providers to help you get the best value from your Home Care Package, ensuring you are supported with the right tools to maintain your independence.

What is a Home Care Package?

A Home Care Package is an Australian Government subsidised program that is provided to Australians 65+ with an aging related condition. The program supports you to stay living at home and participating in your community, for as long as possible.

There are many services available to assist you in maintaining a good quality life as you age, and the Australian Government’s My Aged Care is a great place to start.

There are four levels of Home Care Packages from basic care through to high care needs. Each level receives a different amount of funding per year based on your assessment with the Aged Care Assessment Service.

There are 4 levels of HCPs, from Level 1 (basic care) through to Level 4 (high care needs), and each level gets a different amount of funding per year.

  • Level 1 – $9,000
  • Level 2 – $16,000
  • Level 3 – $35,000
  • Level 4 – $53,000

Funding amounts are increased each year to ensure that you can continue to pay for the services you need.

Getting started with a Home Care Package

To get started, you will need to participate in an assessment by the Australian Government to identify your needs and determine the package level that you qualify for. My Aged Care is the best place to call to see if you are eligible for a Home Care Package.

If you only need temporary or short-term care or are a visitor to Australia, you may not be eligible however the Commonwealth Home Support Program may be suitable for your needs.

Steps to follow

1. Register with My Aged Care 
Contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visit
2. Have an assessment 3. Receive your assessment results 4. Contact genU to be your Home Care Package Provider

Selecting genU as your Home Care Package Provider

Once you have received your assessment results from the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT), you will be sent a letter that will outline the services and funding you are eligible to receive, and advice on how to find a Home Care Package provider in your area.

We are here to help you understand this letter and to help guide you through this process if need be.

Simply contact us on 1300 558 368 or contact us via the form below to get started.

Once you receive a letter to say you have been allocated a Home Care Package, you have 56 days to choose your provider and start receiving supports, so it is important to start this process early.

How we work with you

Personalised Service
Independent Advice Connected to Services Ongoing Support
You will be appointed a genU Case Manger who will be with you every step of the way. We’ll discuss what you need and help you get the best value from your Home Care Package. Get connected to the providers and services that are right for you. You Case Manger will check in regularly with you to ensure you are getting the best care possible.

You will be allocated a genU Case Manager who will meet with you to explain your options.

We’ll connect you with a range of services that suit your unique needs and make life at home easier. While there are guidelines on what you can use a Home Care Package for, your Case Manager is there to help find services to best meet your goals.

Services could include:

  • Assistance with cleaning your home
  • Someone to drive you to appointments
  • Help with grocery shopping
  • Assistance with showering and dressing
  • Help to maintain your home and garden.
  • Equipment to make your home safer, or to increase your independence
  • Access to Allied Health Services to maintain your strength and mobility for as long as possible.


We currently provide supports in most of Western Victoria, Melbourne, South Australia and Tasmania.


If you’re a person over 65 years of age, experiencing some decline or slowing down, you’re eligible! There are no citizenship or residency restrictions on HCP. We should mention that if you’re a visitor of Australia or someone who only needs temporary or short-term care, HCP may not be for you. If you require short-term care, try the Commonwealth Home Support Program.

Want to transfer your Home Care Package provider to genU?

If you already have a Home Care Package with another provider and want to transfer to genU, we can help.

Call us on 1300 558 368 or email to discuss your needs.

Contact us to find out more