Right now, you and millions of other Australians are shaping new attitudes to disability, ageing and community services. On top of this, reforms have changed the way these services are all funded. Together, they have thrown up all sorts of opportunities (and challenges).
genU is answering the call. We exist to help you reach your potential and achieve what you never thought you could!
We’re a group of passionate, driven people who want everyone’s lives to be happier and healthier, especially people with disabilities, the ageing and those experiencing disadvantage.
At genU, we aim to solve challenges that come along to enable each person we support to live the life they choose. Take a look at our Vision, Mission and Values to find out more.
We operate solely for community benefit and invest back into the same communities in which our services are delivered.
Our name? genU is short for the generation YOU, because genU is here for YOU.
Our services are vast and super wide-ranging! They include:
- Disability support services, such as individual support, employment, accommodation and recreation activities.
- Aged care services, ranging from community support to retirement living and residential aged care.
- Business and community services, including inclusion programs, as well as food and business support services.
- NDIS coordination and assistance.
- Plus we also offer, Workforce Australia and Disability Employment Services, accredited and non-accredited training, professional recruitment plus childcare, check out more about our genU Family.
genU brought together the best of 2 trusted and respected organisations, Karingal and St Laurence. genU builds on their experience, adding a new ambition: to become the leader in what we do. We’re pretty proud to say that our national footprint includes more than 3200 staff at 200 locations across Australia.
Karingal was established in 1952 when a group of Geelong parents formed a playgroup for their children, each with a disability. These parents wanted to provide the chance for their children to have lives that would be fulfilling, and have them realise the potential of their abilities.
St Laurence Community Services was established as a separate entity in 1996 after the Brotherhood of St Laurence divested its Geelong regional operations.
In 2016, St Laurence and Karingal were merged to become Karingal St Laurence (KSL).
In 2017, Karingal St Laurence was renamed genU, to reflect our new mindset. We bring the best of our years of experience, adding in a fresh new attitude. Our vision is to help the community make the most out of every opportunity that comes their way. Ever innovating, we find new ways over, under and around any challenge.